Wednesday, November 14, 2007

back in wuhan

So I am back in Wuhan after a horrible month in Zhengzhou, I am quite happy to be home but being in such a poor province and around such crude people has forever changed my opinion of this country. I will want to come home for a break ASAP, I will not have enough money to do so for a while though. 2 days before I came home Janice decided that I didn't really want to be her boyfriend and hasn't spoken to me since, we have communicated through SMS, but she is very angry with me.
You Chinese girls that want western boyfriends come in two or three kinds. The first kinda girl is obsessed with the idea of having a western boyfriend , but in all reality wants him to act like a Chinese guy, the second girl wants an English teacher, the third type wants a trip out of the country. There are a few other types, and combinations are also present. Also understand that a 21 year old Chinese girl is about as mature as your average western 15 year old. I feel like many of the problems we are having are just small problems, she feels like they are huge. So I really don't know how things are between us, and I am not going to turn into a Chinese guy.
You know the fact is I am just not the kinda person who is going to communicate with my girlfriend every single day when i am away on a very difficult and time consuming business trip, when my mother and father are having issues that i feel like I need to help deal with.
When you promise something to a Chinese girl it is expected that you should do it right away, not next month when you can more easily afford it or anything like that. You should always spend more money on her than your own brother, even if it is his birthday. You should always just order her food, if you ask what she wants you are somehow being disrespectful. I am really starting to wonder if it's all worth it.
Feeling really depressed right now, going to go. Post more later

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's rough, Doug.

Is it a "done" deal? These spats are common in new relationships, esp with the cross-culture difficulties you experience.

Anyhow, you visited a GFHH in China ... you've found a comparison that makes Harlingen look good. That's an accomplishment ... who would've thought?

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to sign above.

P@

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are back in Wuhan. I hope you and Tom go someplace nice to eat for Thanksgiving and his birthday. Do not let others come between you and your brother. It is important to stick together. Love, Linda

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back, as well. Try to stay focused on your work and saving some money. You never know about relationships.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home