Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Why don't you ask the kids at TS, what it was that they were doing there?"

In my experience TS is not something you speak about openly. People that do like to talk about really want to know exactly what happened. Being that that was a long time ago for me and I don't feel comfortable researching it in China I have the luxury of saying I don't really know. Although that is a lie, i have been told enough by locals to remember more or less what it was about now. The govt. seems very nervous when westerners refer to it as a massacre, expats in china believe this is part of the reason for the you tube block right now. it may also have to do with the 17th anuall congress meeting in Beijing from what I have read put "youtube blocked in china" into google and find out everything you need.
Communism/Totalitarianism I have found is a very efficient type of govt in many ways, with people having less rights it's hard for them to complain about not having something they have never had. When the govt does screw up it's easy for them to just say "No we didn't!" and the people just say "Alright, besides who else are we supposed to trust, Each other?". Keep in mind that most forms of communism/Totalitarianism around today are not the pure Marxist form that it was intended to be. For example people own their cars and motorcycles here, at the same time I am sure the govt has the right to take them away from you if they wish. Communism/Totalitarianism works well in social centered societies where people do things for their people and their country. It would be unsatisfying in an individually centered society like the US. Think about it though, does the govt have so little control in the US these days? Last time I was there my freedoms felt infringed upon time and time again. I wonder though, why are things getting worse in china? When i first came here things weren't to bad, but now half the websites I like to go to are blocked? I'm not sure what's up but the fact of the matter is China wants better relations with the us, not just on an economic level but on a political level as well, but this is a very stubborn country and the idea that they are going to have to change the way their government works to be our ally leaves a very bad taste in their mouth. Hu JIn Tao is going to be the president in this country until 2012 so who knows it may be that long before china comes to realize a few things. As efficient as it can be Communism/Totalitarianism usually will fail dismally as not everyone is exactly cool with not owning their own stuff. here http://www.stutzfamily.com/mrstutz/WorldAffairs/typesofgovt.html is a good site to study types of govt.
I found an amusement park of sorts in this town today, but it's still an over crowded shit hole I am going home next weekend to see my beloved little brother and girlfriend. Aside from that i need to pay back some money as other people had to cover my bills while i was here. I will only be there a day or two and then I'll be back here for two more weeks and then home for good. They brought another teacher from WuHan named Tas, he's Australian and I have seen him around Hankou a few times but this is the first time I have really met him. It's nice to be able to speak English at full speed again, i was going nuts trying to speak Chinese all the time. I need to increase my Chinese studies, I'm just shit with studying these days, i guess i have become lazy about it. Anyhow it's early in the day I may be back here at the cafe tonight. Anyone find any good video or audio streaming sites?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey do you get on messanger anymore? Usually, if I skip Church I can run into you or Tom on the messangers. I leave it open I might be in and out though.

Kevin

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home