Friday, October 13, 2006

So here I sit

Alone in this internet cafe, it's hot like an oven again and filled with smoke. Like the people of China don't have enough in their lungs already. Tom is nowhere in site because he has trouble getting up early, I plan on being up at around 6 AM to shower and go to the nightmare that is saturday. For me saturday consists of 2 2 hour classes and 1 160 minute class, I know that doesn't sound like much, but it is. The 160 minute class is actually 2 classes I co teach the same day with someone else, teach 40, 10 minute break, teach 40, switch teachers over 10 minutes, teach 40, 10 minute break, teach 40. Some of these kids have no knowledge of the english language what so ever, it's not something I look forward to. It's agravating and tiring at the same time, by the time I get to my night class, I like these students too, I can hardly do anything with them, my brain barley works. I'm just really tired to, my voice is cracking from saying "Don't worry about what's wrong on the floor JUST LISTEN TO ME!!!", Weekends suck, just like they did back home. Sunday will be a little more full than usual but I have a free chat with adults, I really like those and I think that these do far more than teaching sometimes. We pick a topic and just talk about it, no activities, no lesson plans, just a group of people having a conversation about something. I liek talking to people here, they aren't pampered in any way like most americans have been, they are just trying to get to tomorrow. I feel as though everyone should try and do that now and then, they don't plan to far ahead. Life doesn't always have to be a game of chess, these people are good people. I like allot about them, of course there is stuff I can't stand about them too but it's really pretty superficial when you get down to it.
I have to get my ass in gear and start getting my degree done, I have to finish my english cert. I know all these things sound easy but it's not like I can really get it done at school or an internet cafe. I showed dad more or less where we are, spoke with him again today and he could show most of you on google earth. I am going to be pretty busy tomorrow so I don't know if I'll be leaving a post until late night here again. I would love to hold a chat session in a room and answer everyones questions by voice but we are having trouble finding a place to do it, if we could arrange it for perhaps early monday morning here, late sunday night for you it would be best. Eww I am sitting by an open window and the wind just changed, smells like a corpse left in the sun for 3 days, anyhow we could also do it earlier in the day on say a wednesday afternoo tuesday night there, not sure. One thing is sure I won't do it if I have to go to class in a couple hours unless we are already at the school. I am thinking of buying a simple USB web cam to take back and forward between home and school.
Can't believe my student's think I am the fattest person in WuHan, Just goes to show what they know about american's. One of our teachers gave them a blank world map, they couldn't even find China on it, most of these kids think Japan is bigger than China. Not sure what they are teaching in school around here, allot of it is the students they care more about killing a fly in the classroom than what is going on. If you tell them to leave the fly alone they all sit down for about 30 seconds then they are back up again. You may as well let them just kill it because class will not resume until it's dead. Don't even think of leaving the flys body in the room either. It's gotta go or they will all just look at it for an hour and squah it multiple times. Anyhow later guys I need to think about getting home, it's an early day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home