Thursday, October 19, 2006

Are the shackles really broken?

Home calls to some people, it seems as though it's to hard to be away from something so familiar, so welcoming as home. What is home really? Is home where your family is, is it where you hang your hat? I don't know and even if I did I am sure it is different in the hearts and minds of every human being out there. I don't presume to know what makes other people tick, but I do know my own feelings. My feelings tell me that home is where your happy, I'm sorry to say I was not happy in Harlingen. Now that I think about it I haven't been happy in Harlingen since Carrie left, she was the only thing that really made it worth while. I love all of you, but you all moved on with your lives and I was just sorta ... Stuck, not really knowing what I should do or where I should go. Living with dead end jobs left and right that tried to pass themselves off as careers. That may not be a big deal to everyone else but it's a big deal to me, if you aren't;t happy with what your doing, or where your living, what do you have really? Sure I had some furniture and some appliances that were mine, a couple computers, a few instruments. You add it all up and my net worth was about 2 thousand dollars. My bank account was always overdrawn, I never had enough money to even enjoy my hard work, or even really afford my electricity. Things were simply dismal for me, I needed a change but couldn't afford to really go anywhere else, I would have had to sell all my things at a loss, and that would have been all the money I have. I have promised all of my living room furniture to Carrie should she need it, I wonder now why I have done this as she won't respond to my emails, I keep trying to tell myself she wasn't just trying to get my cat from me. Until I have some type of contact or can find a way to call her I have no idea though, I suppose that her caring for Meiko is worth a few hundred bucks worth of furniture and if I move back to the states I would rather have new stuff.
Anyhow, I think I have determined that for right now WuHan is home, I have a good job, I make great money for where I am, and I actually have a bit of a life. I go out and do things with my friends, I like the people for the most part. Once I start getting past the language barrier things should get much easier, I don't have much family and the family I do have isn't always as enthused about being here as I am. Even if I didn't have tom here any longer I think I would be alright, if this school will hire me another year I will pretty much be the only teacher left from our current group as everyone is going elsewhere. After a few years of being in Asia I may have enough money saved up to build a small house somewhere, or even afford a small mobile home. Not exactly 609 south Lewis, but it's something at least and it will be mine. I should have enough money saved up after my contract to purchase a vehicle of some type that will also be mine. Something I will have to show for all my hard work, I don't know how long I'll be gone or weather I'll even be able to adapt to living back in the states easily, this is part of the reason that I want to come home for a few months at a time. Anyhow I have spoken my piece for today I may put another post up later tonight, sometimes thoughts come to me late at night that make allot of sense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home