Saturday, December 08, 2007

Expenses

You know the RMB is getting to be more valuable everyday, this may be good for the country but right now it's not very good for it's citizens. When I first came to the country it was about 8 to the dollar, now it fluctuates between 7.35 and 7.4 to the dollar. This may not seem like a huge increase, but it has made an impact. Money isn't going as far as it used to as prices have increased but wages have not. My wage is a bit lower than most of the teachers here when you do the math, after paying my bills a good portion of my wage is gone. Also there is my dental work and the fact that everything is usually a little more expensive for foreigners. Plus there is eating, Chinese food is really simple, it's all about how many ways you can combine noodles, veggies, and meat. Well, your lucky if you get much meat, so the temptation to have western food is really strong sometimes and that is pricey. Eating Chinese street food is about the cheapest thing you can do, but there is a calculated risk there as it's not the cleanest way to eat and you risk food born infections. For instance I had some sketchy dumplings last night and am feeling the result today, With the addition of a girlfriend my funds are stretched pretty thin. As far as eating goes I try and give myself 1000 a month to eat on, this gives me about 32 RMB a day. I could for example have a big mac meal at lunch, and have enough left over for a couple bowls of rice at dinner. Or I could skip lunch all together, save it all and have a nice dinner with my girl.
Patrick, I have always respected your ability to live like a pauper and get by. Frankly, if i wanted to live like a pauper I would have stayed in the US, I was doing quite well at that there. However I have paid back the majority of my debts, the only reason I had to borrow money at all this month is because I had to have this dental work done. It was an ... unforeseen event, at least having to have it done this early was. I should be alright soon, there always seems to be some kind of mystery expenditure. Like I'll get a message from my land lady saying "Hey you need to pay this 500 yuan building management fee." just all of a sudden out of the blue. That's just the way it works here. I should be back on track soon, I want to come home for a while at some point so, I'll need to save some cash. I am trying to find practical things for Christmas, Tom is still as indecisive as ever about some things, he can't seem to tell me what he wants. I think I am just going to do the uncle thing and give him some cash, let him get his own gift. Well gots to run peoples :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home