Thursday, December 06, 2007

Root Canal

As I said this is only the first session of the root canal, it's going to take two or three more sessions to complete. However, it does appear to be working as I can't really feel the tooth for the most part. This seems to be the general idea behind a root canal, I only have a temporary fiberglass filling in right now, so I am not allowed to use the tooth to chew at this time. This isn't really a big deal as I haven't used it to chew more than noodles for about 6 years now. The tooth next to it is going to have to have a root canal as well, so there is another month and a half of dental work. The most painful thing at this point is the injection site, even now a week later it's still a little sore. Leave us not forget that I am missing my second to the last lower molar on my right side, so one of two things will have to happen with that. Either the two teeth on the sides of the gap will have to be root canaled and fitted with a bridge, or I am going to have to have a dental implant put in. These both have their advantages and disadvantages, the bridge is by far the cheaper way to go. However, I would have to sacrafice two potentially healthy teeth, on the other side of the coin, if the teeth are healthy then they will make good bridge posts. As far as the implants go, it's a great way not to sacrafice two good teeth and have less metal hardware in my mouth. However, I don't know if they even have them in this country, and even if they do they are going to be expensive. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about having a titanium rod screwed into my jaw bone.
I think what I am going to do is have x-rays done of the teeth on that side and see if they are developing cavities or if they are healthy. If they are developing cavities, then I may as well have them root canaled and do a bridge, if they are healthy then I think I need to look into the cost and availability of implants. I need to save as many of my own teeth as possible, also the upper molar that has a crack along the side will be root canaled and all the openings will be filled.
The thought of having a mouth full of teeth that work is very appealing to me, metal or otherwise, being able to chew food normaly and be able to sleep instead of being in searing pain ... these things are huge to me even though they may seem simple to everyone else.
I have been spending a lot of time with Tom lately, my girlfriend has been writing her Thesis and taking final exams so she hasn't had so much time, although things are better between us. It's getting cold here in WuHan, I watched a documentary about the rise and fall of the DeLorean sports car last night ... I think patrick would call that a "Fuck Story" a great idea that was just born at the wrong time. John DeLorean was a great designer and Engineer but that dude was also real crooked. Anyway all I have to go make my photocopies for the day, I will try and post more often and get more videos up on youtube.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home