Thursday, December 28, 2006

Taiwan is screwed

Not sure if you guys heard, but there was a wicked bad earth quake in Taiwan. It was noticeable here in Wuhan, sadly I was a little preoccupied at the time and it didn't phase me. Taiwan is in bad shape and it is affecting even mainland China, for example, everyones internet has gone to hell. Local servers are slow and anything that has to go to a server overseas just isn't happening. Supposedly this is going to take a couple weeks to fix. And no we aren't going to get a discount on our service, that kinda thing doesn't go down here. and it is leterally country wide, it's bad at home, it's bad at the school, it's bad everywhere.
The day is drawing near, either I am going to keep my job or have to find a new one. People seem upset that Tom and I may be going, and the fact is many of my students are going to pass with flying colors, the ones that don't simply didn't pay attention. Of course the schools manager cares nothing about the students passing or not, he cares about how many are comign to the school and making them money. In fact, that is the only thing he cares about. He isn't the one to look to for educational advice, you always get the feeling that he really doesn't like you, and really has no idea what to do when it comes to teaching. For him it was either this or a starbucks, and the PRC wouldn't let him open the starbucks. Things are looking more posative, as hard as it has been I am getting the hang of it now. As little as the staff may like to hear it, some kids just don't want to learn english. Hell I really don't want to learn chinese but I haven't got much of a choice at this point.
I am thinking of giving China another year or two, then I have an idea of teaching for the same school in Mexico, it looks like they have one not to far from home I could almost drive home if I really wanted to put in the time. The Yuan is doing a lot better so I want to go somehwere where I can get more cash for my dollar. Pesos are still in dire straights so I will prolly teach there for a year. If all goes well I will have a degree in something by that point. I'll then book it to Japan and that will be my last year teaching abroad before I move back home. Well ... to be honest I dunno if the valley is for me anymore, but maybe texas. We will just have to see.
I plan on doing a little video on eating food in china, what you need to be careful of and stuff like that, look for it soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home