Monday, December 25, 2006

My Christmas spirit was tested

first off guys I hope all of you out there had a very merry and happy Christmas. This day only comes once a year, and it always seems to end to quickly. On a good note, we went and had a great western style dinner at the holiday inn, it's a revolving restraunt. This was a new experience for me, the staff was great, I took some video and am attempting to lighten it up for you guys in premiere, I will have it up soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOJN_QI8i4

I got a really nice little guitar amp from Tom, that was really nice of him, I was playing a little last night and it sounded really good for an inexpensive chinese guitar amp, I am impressed. I got Tom many assorted things, I thought it would be best if he got several gifts. That way he would feel more at home, we spent time with our friends, truthfully I suppose it was as close to being at home as it could be. I really missed all of you and enjoyed all of your photos

DON'T READ THIS NEXT PART UNLESS YOU HAVE A STRONG STOMACH

So I was in the market looking for a pair of shoes for Tom, he has been wanting a pair some other color than black. I looked around but didn't find much, I found a few things but wasn't sure what international size he wears. I left the market and went to get a few other things while he looked up his international size for me. While I was in the market there was this small little dog sniffing at me, he is a nice dog, I have seen him in there before. Generally he leaves me alone and I leave him alone, he is just looking for some scraps to eat, honestly he isn't much bigger than a bread box. So i got the other things, Tom had called me with the size and I was on my way back to the market, I heard the dog barking loudly and I thought that some one musty have been giving him a hard time ... I couldn't have been more wrong. As I walked into the market there was a small crowd gathering around one of the last counters, the guy that owned the counter was beating the small dog to death with a wooden pole, The little guy wasn't going easy ... it was awful. The guy seemed very frustrated, angry, as though he was unable to figure something out in his life, he decided to take it out on the little dog. There was a moment where he realized what he was doing, stopped for a moment, and then continued realizing the little dog had no hope of recovery. The way his bottom lip was quivering the whole time, he must have been dealing with things he didn't understand. People beat animals to death in the states of course, it's just usually a little more private. Then some guy tried to kick a pigeon out of the air at the square. Some people are like children and never think abuot the end result, sometimes they never think about getting hurt or hurting something else, this is one thing that will stick in my head forever about China.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had a good Christmas with Tom but am sorry that you had to witness such a horrible act.
There has been a picture up on the news about a Vietnamese market selling cooked dogs. Ugh!! They just feel differently about certain animals. Some places think it is a sin to eat Cattle. It makes you realize why people become vegetarians when you think about it. We just do not think about how that piece of meat gets to the market. If that dog had been in there before it may be that this was the first time it bit someone or defecated or relieved itself on something and like you said the man probably had other issues. It is a hard thing to witness and also to get out of your mind. Try to think of other things or stay busy.
I'm glad you and Tom went to the Holiday Inn to eat. The videos are very nice and it sounds like you both had a good time.
I think China does things big for the New Year? What are your plans?
Linda

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, I really loved the Live entertainment for you Christmas celebration. They did a really great job, and you could even understand the English. Were any of them your students?

Don't worry, your Christmas Spirit is alive and very well! Congratulations on a great job!

Can't wait to hear about New Year's Eve! We will all be at Cliff and Holly's. However, I'm feeling a tad wagged out what with all the 'taking Baby to pea' But it was only once last nite, so maybe it will get better.

Grandpa's Christmas gift, Dog Obedience school...our first session is Sat. Hope it works out to be beneficial. Know you boys are struggling with your decision, and as your Dad said yesterday, you are almost half the way through! We will see what the New Year Brings.

Grandma

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home