Thursday, September 07, 2006

Air conditioning

Not very popular in this country, central air doesn't really exist. At least not for homes or apartments, they do have little stand alone units that sit in the corner and do an alright job but fans aren't popular either so things don't circulate so well. I believe I mentioned that people here believe that drinking cold water is actually bad for you. However drinking boiling hot water in the summer time seems to be very good for you, you go to a resteraunt and you always get a picture of boiling hot water. I am actually getting to where I prefer my water hot to room temp, not sure why it just seems better that way. However you can always fill up a separate bottle and keep it in the frige. Speaking of refrigerators, in this country they are always very small and efficient and some of them even have an overheat light. It sucks when the frige overheats because then it quits cooling. I have had to resort to leaving a window open in our kitchen so that doesn't happen so much, still though it can take things up to a day or even two to get cool and expect at least a day to make ice, which you guessed it, is also extremely hard to get usually only provided upon request in this country and then you have to listen to a lecture in Chinese about how drinking cold water can harm you. I am going to get a digital camera or a PC with my first check, I can't afford both so it's a rough call. But within a couple months I will have both. I still intend to have Kevin ship me my computer as it will at least have some useful parts, I figure if I get the PC then at least I can get pictures up off toms camera phone, they aren;t great but it will be a good way for you guys to see where I live. My intention is to get back into photography, so most of my pictures will probably be in black and white (Sorry grandma and grandpa I still maintain that black and white makes a fine photo).
Started work yesterday, my students are great and they like me. Despite it being my first class some real learning went on and that is what counts in the end. I felt more fulfilled yesterday than all my days at echostar or RMH and I never intend to do that type of work ever again. I have those guys again today but my real worry is Saturday and Sunday when I have to teach younger kids. Tom has already done so and says it's a little rough, but with a max of two classes a day at 2 hours a piece it's not so bad, there is allot of free time and the class time goes by pretty quickly, my kinda work. Right now I am sitting at the school waiting for someone to pick up our passports for one of our permits. She was supposed to be here at 9 am but it's now 10:07, I hate how nothing ever happens on time here. That would be one thing that bothers the hell outta me about china so far.
Went out to Mr. Doughnuts with all the teachers from both the Wuchang School and the Hankou School (If you don't have any idea what that means then look up wuhan in wikipedia, it's banned here so I can't give you a link). Mr. Doughnuts actually had some of the best doughnuts and pizza I have ever had. I am not usually into hanging with co-workers, but frankly my boss requires it and really they are fine people. I really like them allot, more than any other group of people I have worked with anyhow. Being that this is my free time I had better have someone call this person to get her down here I do have to be here in a few hours and I'm not much for hanging around work when there is no need to so I am going to go if I have time I may get another post out later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home