Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Chinese Employers

They seem to love making your lives difficult, much of it seems to stem from Chinese procedures and such, but secretly I think they all love making the foreigners uncomfortable. Even just switching jobs requires a lot of paper works, expensive trips to Hankou, and starting yet another bank account. Apparently I am going to have to start the account on my own, at EF they did all thsi stuff for you. How am I supposed to start a bank account if I can't even speak Chinese? They also never told me that I was going to have to work for 6 weeks without pay, today is payday and I am not getting a dime until the 15th of next month. I have had to borrow 2 large from a friend until then, when I explained to my boss that I wasn't told this and I naturally assumed that they paid from the 15th to the 15th he didn't really seem to care and suggested that I borrow money from my brother, haha. I explained that he didn't know my brother and that there was no way I could ask him for more money. the next thign he said was that if I wanted an advance I would have to go to Hankou but since I am still on probation there is no point. I am pretty sure none of these things would have happend at EF, not to mention I am required to be here more and I am paid less. Oh well, not much I can do I suppose except learn how tricky and underhanded this place is and try to screw the system I suppose.
On a positive note, I finally finished a TV series that I have been trying to finish since 2000. It is called Farscape and is believed to be one of the best Sci Fi series ever. It has an 8.4 rating on the IMDB which is very good for that site, and I would have to agree. I never really got to watch this show much because my father has something against animatronics, being that CG was still very expensive during this time and it was more or less a Jim Henson production, many puppets and animatronics were used, some of course more convinsing than others. Now this is something you eventually get used to and actually come to like about the show. The main thing that draws me to this show is the interaction between the main characters, they start as enemies and eventually become a family. The characters also grow individually, and astronaut grows to become a hero and so on and so fowarth. There is rumor of a movie but I think that in all honesty that is a long shot, there was a 4 part miniseries in 2004 that tied up a few loose ends and more or less ended the series, they may risk doing the series and characters injustice by continuing the story. I would love to see it, but it would be like continuing the original Star Trek series. Anyhow I am writing this when I should be preparing for class, but anyone that is intersted in Action, Adventure, Sci fi, and a love story or two would do well to check out this series. If you are really interested I will see if I can send you DVD's for viewing on PC, anyhow later guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home