Wednesday, September 20, 2006

University and google earth

We don't work at a university, we work at a technical English school. I can't find it on google earth so I doubt you guys can. However somewhere after the second bridge there is a park/square, it's round and has a picture of a bird in the middle of it, we live about 2 blocks south of that, our school is about a block east of that. Yeah Linda your right, I made some bad decisions that made my life hard, I should have made different ones. I think I was more than clear about that in my first post, However, even if I had made different ones I don't know that I would be better off. I know many of you in the family are proud to be American's, I however do not share that pride, and honestly I never have, sorry but it's the truth. America has allot of problems right now, problems that I have no wish what so ever to let affect my life any longer. I won't go into all of it because we simply won't agree, I have been here with all of you before and it's an argument that I don't wish to have here on my blog. That isn't what this place is for, this place is here for you to find out a little about where I am, what I'm doing, and maybe learn a little something about another country. As it is unlikely that many of you will come here for one reason or another, this is simply the best I can do. As for comments about me "Becoming a man", or "Growing up". They are appreciated, however I think I should point out that I have been quite aware of the harsh and harmful reality of being an adult for a long time now, what I was unwilling to do was become like everyone else. Again I'm sorry but I have no interest in being "clean cut" or "Suit and tie", nor do I want to do the same damn thing everyday, I don't want to become part of a routine. Teaching is satisfying to me because it's not like that, there is no routine, your always teaching something new, something different. When your kids like you it's all the better. Not to mention I am a rich man here, relatively I pass up everyone I know at homes monthly salary. I can afford almost anything I want within a couple of checks, white color is a hard thing to give up and it's hard to get used to the look on someone's face when you pull out a 100 note here, again I am sorry if all of this sounds selfish, but again I was a loser at home, I couldn't have anything I wanted and had to mooch and live off people. If I have anything to do with it, NEVER AGAIN will I live that way. Now lets drop this line of discussion and move onto other things please.

I was sitting in Bob's restaraunt last night, waiting to have some dumplings. I was with Tom and some Co-Workers of ours when this guy comes in, walks a bit past us, and then projectile vomits everywhere. I hated China for just a moment, must have been to much Bai Jaou or something because people around here have no trouble at all drinking all the beer they want. Luckily Bob had a problem with someone puking all over his resteraunt. I couldn't understand all that was going on but I believe he was asked to leave. On the upside the dumplings were really good, anyhow guys gotta run and prepare for my night class.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug you knew you would get a comment back. I love to hear about new and exciting places. You keep talking about your salary. Until you start paying everything for yourself you still don't have the whole picture and it will be sometime before you get to that point in your life. This is part of the growing I was talking about. You are making a giant step towards maturity and we are proud of you for doing it. This is what college away from home teaches you. You and Tom just didn't make that step but you both are now. Oh, by the way if you don't think China has major problems you need to do some reading and research but that is beside the point. Yes, we are proud to be Americans and so many people in China would love to be here. Sorry that you hate your country. That is how you sound on you blog. To change the subject...teaching...I love it! It is great and I also like that it is always changing and fresh but there is much more to it. I hope that you do get the chance to further your education and teach if that is what you truly love doing. It is very rewarding. I still love ya but you know even if it is your blog sometimes you should think before putting every thought down. Somethings just should be kept to yourself. I am truly glad to have these discussions with you. I love to read about your outings. Can't wait for pictures. Take care!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, Grandma just gave the address of your blog. How cool is this!!! I can't tell you how happy and proud of you (and Tom) Cliff and I are about the changes that you have made in your life. I can certainly understand how you feel about your salary. We know someone else who did something similar to you but in Japan and the money was really fantastic. Great job to you for making this happen. It is not everyday that we are presented with an opportunity to change our lives. Many things are mundane and small and the truly fantastic opportunities may often times be overlooked for their true value. You, however, saw the potential and grabbed it. I just don't think some of the comments I have read here are right. No one but you can truly know the life you have led up to now or the struggles that you have had. And quite frankly it's nobody's business but yours. It is very easy to critize other people and to say what "they should have done". Your mom is my sister and I feel that I should know and understand her better, but the truth is, she isn't the person that I ever knew. I can't even begin to imagine how your life has been. I know exactly how you feel about "begin a loser back home and mooching off people". That is no way for ANYONE to have to feel. I know that you wanted things to be different but it is soooooo hard to stay in the same place and have things be different. So, my hat is to you, BIG TIME. I'm glad you don't want to be like everybody else. You need to find your own path in order to even have a chance at true happiness in life. Just one kernel of wisdom I will leave you with; nothing stays the same for ever. Enjoy how your life is now but realize that in time everything changes. That doesn't mean a bad change, just change. Don't build all your dreams around something that can't stay the same. Plan for change and you won't be caught off guard by it. I hope that makes sense to you. I will be watching the blog. I really do want to learn more about where you are. It is SOOOOO COOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Stoerm Anderson said...

Holly has spoken very wisely.

You've got at least a few years of employment there, but please note that the level of English language spoken there has geometrically increased since 2000. Unlike many other countries, pragmatic China has wisely recognized that English is an international business language. It's only a matter of time before they cease to need foriegn experts. So, as Holly recommends: Enjoy! But plan your next adventure, too. :)

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how far did the puke fly? Did it make anyone else "hurl"?

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home