Saturday, September 23, 2006

The school and shopping

We teach very young children up to adults, we use a grading system but as we are just starting courses I am not privy to how it works yet. I believe we have parent teacher meetings, I believe half way through the course. Younger students are easier to keep control of than teens in my opinion and adults are there by choice. Teens are just a hard group to work with, as for shopping. There is in fact a wal-mart but it's far away from where we live, Carrefour is very similar and within walking distance. Tom hates it but I go there allot they have all kinds of things one level is restraunts, the next is electronics appliances and transportation, and the last is food. Things are expensive there but now and then you find a good deal, if I were going to buy meats it would be there or wal-mart rather than on the street. There is another store here called Metro but it's very far away, I hear this is the best place to buy western style foods and such. Generally if your hungry you just go down the street for some fried noodles or rice, these run you about 3 yuan (about 36 cents USD) for a decent amount. They have Chinese doughnuts on a stick for 1 yuan (12 cents USD). Nothing special but not bad, there is almost no point in cooking here in china, I plan to, but if you can afford to go out and eat everyday you do it. Most people go by this method, no dishes to worry about, the food is good, and you can usually get it just like you want. I wouldn't buy anything but sausages or ground beef right now though, some of these meats are left open in bins and such, creepy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home