Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Inflation Hits China

It was bound to happen, prices on some goods (It all started with a pork shortage) are going up and wages aren't. This has a me a little concerned at the moment, but apparently the global economy isn't that great right now. You know it seemed to me that I had just grown used to inflation because it's almost constant in the states, but when I first got here everything was nice and stable, after a year things start to change. Citizens are complaining and there is talk of the government issuing subsidies towards wages to make up for the difference. The government here is mroe efficient than you may think, if they are going to be issuing anything to the people they are going to wait as long as they can to do so. And who knows if "Out of towners" are going to get the same thing as everyone else. Anyhow I hope so, second hand goods are still cheap and very popular in China, people will almost always buy something second hand if they can.
As I mentioned in my last post, my relationship seems to be going very well right now. She and I have become very close and I am starting to really love her, at the same time I am struggling with moving her more towards a western way of thinking. The Chinese way of getting into a relationship is very outdated and old fashioned, it doesn't work very well in the modern world. I maintain this is why you can't toss a rock in wuhan without hitting a brothel ... or at least a hooker. Many chinese men cheat and from what I understand a few women as well, all aspects of a relationship aren't explored before marriage, and many times they don't work out. However when infidelity does occur, it's not really that suprising to either party involved. You know if your wife buys you a green hat in china, it means she is cheating. I have a green hat that I quite like to wear, I do get some strange looks.
Anyhow, she is opening up very well to a different way of thinking, it's like I am a teacher in my professional life and my private life, it's not so bad really.
Well I have alot more to talk about, but I have to get ready for my classes, I have taken to long as it is. I will try to get more up later tonight if I can.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug ...

So let me get this straight ... your wife messes around then goes out and buys you a green hat? She then presents it to you as sort of an announcement? Do you actually wear the green hat? Does it sit in plain sight whilst at rest?

More details please on the green hat custom.

Patrick

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should view "old fashion" as charming.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home